Grand Designs, Kitchens for Entertaining, December 2016 issue
Below is an excerpt from LochAnna Kitchens guide to designing kitchens for entertaining as shown in Grand Designs December 2016 publication
- What are the most important considerations when you’re planning a kitchen for entertaining?
The most important thing to consider when designing a kitchen for entertaining is functionality combined with simplicity and easy clean facilities. Plenty of space for your guests to congregate is also a great advantage. Fitted kitchens work particularly well as ideally consumers will want a kitchen layout that offers practical storage and space solutions with an appearance that is effortlessly sleek and integrated.
- Why is the trend for entertaining at home in your kitchen still so prevalent?
The kitchen is the heart of any home and generally people prefer when this integrates with islands and open dining or patio doors. The kitchen is a great opportunity to push your own style statement
- What are the newest products you can use to create an entertaining kitchen eg appliances, surfaces, gadgets
The latest trends which are ideally suited to a kitchen for entertaining are copper coloured handles, accessories and appliances – perfect for those trying to find a stylish alternative to the traditional stainless steel and black. Integrated speakers with bluetooth functionality, colour changing lights and even pop up sockets for phone charging are all regular purchases today
The overall linear look is key in today’s modern kitchen, meaning that we are seeing more plain and handle-less doors for a simple yet modern finish, against grey and neutral earthy coloured cabinetry.
- What sort of layouts work well for an entertaining kitchen?
Absolutely an island or breakfast bar coupled with separate dining if space allows
- What do you need to consider when planning an island unit for entertaining – does it always need seating? Is there a maximum size? Ideal designs?
Seating not always possible but it helps, especially consider the day to day needs of the family. Why have such an important work-station but have no room to sit and have a morning coffee?
- What are the different seating/table solutions you could include?
High stool islands with seating on the back and ends or drop down worktops for your guests which allows comfort height seating. Larger islands or breakfast bars means a hob or sink could be fitted as well.
- How much do materials matter and which surfaces lend themselves well to entertaining kitchens?
Recent laminate worktops are starting to emulate more and more the look of authentic stone and natural surfaces, which are perfect for creating a luxurious appearance that is still cost-effective. The acrylic surfaces are smooth and cool to the touch with white growing quickly in popularity due to the increase in grey and earth toned door designs.